francis-pagephotos-our-parish

Home > Our Story > School History

School History

Saint Francis of Assisi School is located on the edge of Silver Lake, adjacent to Filipino Town and Echo Park, four miles from downtown Los Angeles. In 1937, Archbishop Cantwell asked Father Stephan to be the pastor of Saint Francis of Assisi Parish. In taking this position, Father Stephan was asked to open a parish school within two years. He requested that the Sisters of Notre Dame administer and teach in the school. Saint Francis of Assisi Parish School opened on September 6, 1938 with ninety-two students in grades one through eight. In 1951, the current school building was opened. A kindergarten class was added in September of 1983 and a transitional kindergarten class was added in August of 2013.

Saint Francis of Assisi School is now a Transitional Kindergarten through eighth grade elementary school. It is a school within the boundaries of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. The school is located in close proximity to Sunset Boulevard, a commercial area with many shops and restaurants. Some families commute from as far away as the San Fernando Valley, the Santa Clarita Valley, and West Covina. We are a school committed to excellence in individualized instruction of all students that is accredited by WCEA and co-accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). SFA is a school committed to excellence in individualized instruction through innovation, in particular, within our Multiage STREAM learning model. 

Contact Us

St. Francis of Assisi School

1550 Maltman Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90026
Phone: 323-665-3601